Back in the day, maybe you would be called a plain Jane, but today you’re a basic bitch. Believe it or not, you don’t have to love pumpkin spice lattes and UGG boots to get stuck in a basic bitch rut — it’s as simple as getting stuck with small goals and being surrounded by uninspiring people. Here are 14 ways to break out and become anything but basic:
1. BEFRIEND DIFFERENT KINDS OF PEOPLE. I know it can be hard to branch out and meet new people, especially if you’re content with the friends you already have. Even though they’re comfortable and familiar, the problem with being around the same people all the time is a lack of diversity, new ideas, and new thoughts. You become like those you surround yourself with — don’t hold yourself back by having small minded people in your circle.
2. TRAVEL AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Ever feel suffocated in your small town? Driving the same roads, going past the same places every day can numb your mind. Hop in a car or on a plane as often as you can afford — even if it’s only a trip out of town for the afternoon. New scenery keeps your mind fresh and new places give you new perspectives about your life.
3. FACE YOUR FEARS OFTEN. If you aren’t willing to face your fears, you’re holding yourself back from growing as a person. Make a list of your fears, big and small, and take steps every day to conquer those fears. It is addicting to be mentally strong and constantly growing. Remember that everything you want is on the other side of those fears.
4. READ BOOKS. Instead of starting yet another binge session on Netflix, take a trip to the library and pick up a new book to read. Reading a book will feel so much more rewarding since you’re giving your brain a workout and learning new things. Bonus points if you read one with friends and can discuss later! Never let yourself stop learning, even when you’re out of school.
5. FIND A NEW HOBBY. You’ve been going to the bar every Friday night and spend every Saturday on the couch battling yet another hangover. Switch up your regular activities with something new and fun. Go wine tasting or to a farmers’ market, see a new artist in concert or go for a morning hike. The possibilities for new adventures are endless and help keep you on your toes.
6. DECIDE TO BE POSITIVE. Your attitude directly relates to your success in life, so why not be positive? When you decide to be thankful for each morning and stop loathing about your average life, you find more joy in each day and more value in your life. Instead of seeing bad days as a reason to drown in wine and Netflix, you will see them as an opportunity to do better and learn.
7. LIFT UP OTHER WOMEN. Nothing screams “I’m basic and insecure about it” quite like gossiping about other women. Trying to blow out someone else’s candle doesn’t make yours glow any brighter. We already have enough pressure to be amazing in everything we do, so why not help encourage each other to do our best? Awesome women tell other women that they’re awesome too.
8. DON’T FOLLOW THE TRENDS. Don’t worry about what every girl on campus is wearing this season. It gets boring to wear the same things as everyone else just because you want to fit in. Stop putting limits on yourself about what you can wear, how to do your hair or what you’re allowed to like. Explore your interests and express yourself the way you want, whether or not it’s popular.
9. START A SELF-CARE ROUTINE. Take care of yourself. When you feel good, you’re motivated to be the best version of yourself in every aspect. Splurge on your skin care, take a hot bath with candles and a book when you feel burnt out and get plenty of sleep. Part of being your best is knowing your limits and taking time for your well being.
10. WORK ON YOUR BAD HABITS. Don’t take the easy way out with your bad habits and qualities. Face your flaws and work on the habits that hold you back. You aren’t stuck with your bad qualities, it’s all about how much work you’re willing to put into growing yourself as a person.
11. DO MORE WITH YOUR FREE TIME. Do your best to spend less time sitting around. When you really take the time to realize you only have so much time in this life, you will want to use every minute wisely. Whether you use your time to be productive, help others or just have new adventures, you will feel so much more fulfilled when you’re up and moving.
12. SET AMBITIOUS GOALS. Don’t be afraid of your own potential! Sit down and write out a list of goals, short-term and long-term. Put it somewhere you can see it every day and get to work. You wouldn’t believe how much you can accomplish when you know what you’re working towards each day. It only takes a little bit of focus each day to do big things.
13. DON’T WORRY ABOUT Other People’s OPINIONS OF YOU. One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned in life is to let people talk. When you start to do more and strive to be more, people will absolutely talk about you behind your back. Even people you thought were your friends will say awful things because of their own insecurities. Don’t fire back, just keep shining and leave behind those who don’t want to grow with you.
14. BE YOUR OWN PERSON. The essence of being a basic bitch is being the same as everyone else. Stop blending in and start being your own person. Sign your name on your life with pride and don’t let it get away from you because of a desire to feel like you fit in. You won’t find yourself alone when you leave behind a basic life — you’ll find people who want to take the journey with you to be more.